Psoriasis and cardiovascular co-morbidity – funding of an overview committee
Grantee: Professor Christopher Griffiths, Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences, University of Manchester
Amount: DKK 900,000
Grant category: Research grants in open competition
Geography: United Kingdom
The background to this project – establishing and operating a multidisciplinary international scientific committee on psoriasis and cardiovascular disease (CVD) – is the increased risk of cardiovascular disease and related mortality amongst psoriasis patients.
Research investigating the interface between the two conditions – from epidemiological studies to basic experimental research – may prove key to improving the overall care of psoriasis patients.
Chaired by Professor Christopher Griffiths from the Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences at the University of Manchester in the UK, the committee consists of three dermatologists and three cardiologists, with at least one of each based in the USA.
The committee’s work focuses on:
- How scientific understanding can be improved through new research initiatives
- Building a consensus on biomarkers in research
- The potential relationships between biomarkers and clinical results and the benefits for patients
- Areas of particular interest for further research
- Investigation of cardiovascular side-effects in clinical development projects