Awarding the extraordinary
Three LEO Foundation Awards of each 100.000 USD will be presented again in 2020
The LEO Foundation Awards constitute a global recognition and are given annually to outstanding young scientists whose work represent extraordinary contributions to dermatology research. There will be three awards of 100.000 USD, one in each of the Americas, EMEA (Europe/Middle East/Africa) and Asia-Pacific regions.
Objectives for LEO Foundation Awards
With our LEO Foundation Awards, we want to recognize the individual young researchers and scientists around the world, whose work advance our understanding of skin diseases and have the potential to pave the way for new and improved treatments. Furthermore, we want our awards to benefit and strengthen the entire dermatology research community.
- The 2020 SID Annual Meeting has been canceled due to the on-going COVID-19 pandemic. However, SID is planning a free virtual Zoom meeting of selected content of the original 2020 Annual Meeting. The virtual event will also take place on May 13-16, 2020. The 2020 LEO Foundation Award – Region Americas will also be announced during the virtual event on Friday May 15 – please click here and follow the link.
- The 50th ESDR Annual Meeting 2020 has been postponed to 22-25 September 2021. However, the 2020 LEO Foundation Award – Region EMEA will still be announced in September 2020. Stay tuned!
- The 45th Annual Meeting of the Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology (JSID 2020) has changed to a virtual meeting 11-13 December because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Please stay tuned for more information about the announcement of the 2020 LEO Foundation Award – Region Asia-Pacific.
Global Review panel 2020
All panel members have been appointed by their respective society.
- Prof. Sarah Millar (US/SID)
- Prof. Richard D. Granstein (US/SID)
- Prof. Janet Fairley (US/SID)
- Prof. Sabine Eming (Germany/ESDR)
- Prof. Edel O’Toole (UK/ESDR)
- Prof. Eli Sprecher (Israel/ESDR)
- Prof. Manabu Fujimoto (Japan/JSID)
- Prof. Cheng-Che Eric Lan (Taiwan/TSID)
- Prof. Soyun Cho (Korea/KSID)
All future LEO Foundation Awardees will be requested to join the LEO Foundation Alumni Club and to participate and contribute at two events within three years following their receipt of the award. The LEO Foundation will agree events and contributions with all awardees.
Who can apply for LEO Foundation Awards
An applicant should
- Have conducted the research on which the application is based and have his/her primary workplace within the relevant region at the time of being selected as awardee
- Be between 30 and 40 years of age at the time of being selected as awardee. Natural and reasonable career breaks such as paternity/maternity leave, military service or the like may be deducted
- Be able to demonstrate scientific merits in the form of at least 5 peer-reviewed first author or co-first author publications within skin-related research
- Be an active scientist within skin-related research
- Agree to become a member of the ‘LEO Foundation Alumni Club’ with accompanying obligations, if selected as awardee
An applicant should NOT
- Have commercial or cosmetic/aesthetic research as his/her primary focus
- Have personal or financial ties to LEO Pharma, including involvement in e.g. sponsored studies or clinical trials at PI level
- Be an earlier recipient of a LEO Foundation Award
- Be an earlier recipient of another prize or award (personal or for research) exceeding a value of 50.000 USD. Regular research grants are exempt from this condition.
The LEO Foundation will ensure an independent and unbiased evaluation process in which all applications will be evaluated based on the same criteria and towards the same scientific level
Awards of USD 100.000 in three regions:
Region Americas – Dr. Ya-Chieh Hsu – Click to read more
Region EMEA – Dr. Ning Xu Landén – Click to read more
Region Asia Pacific – TBA in December
Awards of USD 100.000 in three regions:
Region Americas – Dr. Maksim Plikus – Click to read more
Region EMEA – Dr. Shoba Amarnath – Click to read more
Region Asia Pacific – Dr. Tetsuro Kobayashi – Click to read more
Gold – Dr. Hayato Takahashi
Silver – Dr. Tiffany Scharschmidt
Gold – Dr. Maria Kasper
Silver – Dr. Christoph Schlapbach
Gold – Dr. Amaya Virós
Silver – Dr. Thomas Wiesner
Gold – Dr. Nicola Segata
Silver – Dr. Kilian Eyerich
Gold – Dr. Kim B. Jensen
Silver – Dr. Christina Zielinski
Gold – Dr. Onur Boyman
Silver – Dr. Muzlifah Haniffa
Gold – David Schrama
Silver – Dr. Andrea Chiricozzi
Gold – Dr. Claus Johansen
Silver – Dr. Charlotte Menné Bonefeld
Gold – Dr. Jacob Pontoppidan Thyssen
Silver – Dr. Andor Pivarcsi
Gold – Dr. Christian Vestergaard
Silver – Dr. Ilkka Helanterä
Gold – Dr. Lars Norlén
Silver – Dr. William Agace